Saturday, June 11, 2016

I Just Can't Even!

Brock, I wish I could get your fucking face out of my mind. You are culmination, and the current face, of intersecting privilege in America today. You are white, cis-male, rich, college educated, and heterosexual. Even though you were caught IN THE ACT of raping an UNCONSCIOUS WOMAN behind a dumpster, you were essentially absolved of your crime with the laughable sentence of 6 months.

I wonder, what would the sentence be if I was caught behind the dumpster, raping your unconscious ass with my biggest strap-on?

And then I am reminded of my friend, accused of raping several women by using trickery to have sex with them. And how the details of that seem somehow less horrendous, because they consented under false pretenses. And how shitty I feel because I know that rape is under-reported, rarely prosecuted, and when prosecuted they aren't always convicted. This is why I believe survivors of rape and sexual assault and now, the accusation is aimed at my friend and I don't know what to think, because I want to believe he is innocent, and the statistics don't back that up at all.

And I am worried for my daughter, growing up in this world where rape and sexual assault happen because people don't see other people as a people, they see bodies as objects. I am also scared, because her life can be cut short in an eye-blink, like my other friends and their son. He was killed in a motor vehicle accident yesterday and I am reminded how short life can be.

and I just can't even and I wonder how the survivors continue on.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had something.. a solution, a magic wand, a silver bullet. I love you and I fear for my spawn as well, for all the reasons. The world feels really fucked up and I'm kinda sick of people right now. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I'll review your comment within the next 3 days.

If you are using comments as a way to fish for information on me or my partner, you'll be ignored.