Friday, November 18, 2016

White Person Tears.

It's 4:59 a.m. I am rarely awake at this hour. Last night, I had a conversation with Kyle before bed. For me, the main point of our conversation was distilled to the following sentence:
"I do not feel important when you erase me from your life."
I woke up with this simple and relatable quote forcefully banging around in my head.

I say relatable because you can replace the word important with loved, cared for, respected, cherished, valued, seen as human.

You can replace the word life with vision, city, state, nation, memory, history.

You could even replace the whole phrase erase m from your life with ignore my existence, minimize my pain, devalue my contributions, vandalize my property with hateful words, intimidate me with threats of physical violence, beat me for being different. 


I am a white person in the United States. I am always racist.
If you are a white person in the United State, you are always racist.
Let us not be complacent, let us consistently do better.
When we stumble, let us get up and to do better.
When we fail, let us start over and do better.
When we need support, let us gather together, cry our white tears, and do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I'll review your comment within the next 3 days.

If you are using comments as a way to fish for information on me or my partner, you'll be ignored.