Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thursday Dinner: Fat White Kid Observes Thanksgiving

Last year, I wrote this post about Thanksgiving. This year, Native Americans are fighting DAPL in freezing temperatures and being tortured with concussion grenades, water canons, rubber bullets, bean bags, mace and tear gas. Activist celebrities will host Thanksgiving Dinner at the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation.

And at my house, I am hosting dinner for my family and friends. This observance has space for love, and fear, and gratitude, and activism. I do not know if there will be a time when I cease to observe this dinner. I have so many ties to it through my family and loved ones. The one thing I am doing is minimizing the impact of this dinner on me. I no longer take off the whole week to prepare. I do not serve 101 side dishes. I use the word "observe" rather than "celebrate." I realize these are small actions. I realize that I have to start somewhere. I realize that immediately cutting myself off from things that are important to me does not work for me.

I hope that someday my daughter will let go of it completely, finishing the path that I have started.


1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate you sharing your processing of this holiday. I am also struggling with what I see as the positive aspects (gathering with loved ones to share a meal) and the negative ones (whitewashing of history, lack of recognition of the genocidal impact of white people invading this contenant). Cam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I'll review your comment within the next 3 days.

If you are using comments as a way to fish for information on me or my partner, you'll be ignored.